Yakima, Washington, shooting: Suspect in custody after nighttime shooting that left 3 dead

Yakima, Washington, shooting: Suspect in custody after nighttime shooting that left 3 dead


A suspect was arrested Tuesday in connection with a nighttime shooting that left three people dead in Washington state, Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray said in a video on Facebook.

Murray said officers responded to a phone call from a relative of the suspected shooter who said they could find him behind some warehouses.

Shots were heard as police arrived and a man was injured, but no officers had fired at the suspect and no officers were injured, according to Murray, who said more information will be released later Tuesday.

The police department had previously identified the “suspected homicide suspect” as Jarid Haddock, 21, of Yakima County, according to a Facebook post.

Road closures in the area on Tuesday morning were “related to the early morning killings,” a police spokesman said.

SWAT was responding and authorities had drones over the area.

Tabitha Johnson, an employee at a nearby business, told CNN the area was closed and police surrounded a home near the intersection of University Parkway and West Birchfield Road. Johnson said authorities have been there since before 9:00 a.m. local time.

The area that police have closed off is approximately two miles east of where the shots were fired this morning.

01 Yakima Washington Shooting Scene 0124


Murray told CNN on Tuesday that the suspect stopped at the ARCO/ampm gas station and “tried to get into the lobby” but found that the doors were locked.

“Then he walked across the street to Circle K,” Murray said. “As he walks into the store, he pulls out his gun and there are two people receiving food and he shoots them.” Both people died, Murray said.

The suspect then left the store and shot another person, who also died.

Murray said the suspect walked across the street to the ARCO/ampm gas station, fired on a car and drove off.

Police have not said who owns the car, but believe it could be the suspect’s.

Justin Bumbalogh, who worked at Elite Towing and Recovery, said he was half asleep when he heard gunshots. Police said the shooting happened around 3:30 a.m. local time.

Bumbalogh said he heard about nine shots and recalled a clear gap between the two series of shots.

Police responded shortly after the shooting, he said.

“It seems to be a random situation,” Murray said. “There was no apparent conflict between the parties – the man just walked in and started shooting.”

FBI Seattle field office Steve Bernd told CNN they are aware of the incident and are in contact with Yakima police should they request assistance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *