It is common for a Windows user to face Windows update errors from time to time. No specific error appears when using the Windows update tool; Depending on the cause, your computer may show you different errors from time to time.
Recently, many users reported that they received error 0x80070003 while updating their Windows 10 devices. Error 0x80070003 appears only when the Windows update tool is unable to download or install the update on your device.
Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn’t tell you anything about the error. The error appears and asks you to try the Windows update again. If you have limited internet bandwidth, this error can drain all your data and leave you clueless.
Fix Windows update error 0x80070003
So, if you are unable to upgrade your Windows 10 computer due to Error 0x80070003, you have landed on the right page. Below we have shared some of the best ways to fix Windows update error 0x80070003. Let us begin.
1. Run the Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 provides an update troubleshooter that claims to resolve various issues and errors that prevent you from updating Windows. You can run the Update Troubleshooter to automatically find and fix the problem. This is what you should do.
To run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, click Windows Search and type Control Panel. Then open Control Panel and select ‘Security system’. Under System and Security, click the ‘Fix problems with Windows updates’ Link.
This will run the Windows Update troubleshooter. You have to check the ‘Apply repairs automatically’ and click on the ‘Execute as an administrator’ Link. Once this is done, click on the Next button.
That is! The Windows Update Troubleshooter will now run and try to update your device. If you encounter any issues with the Windows update tool, it will be fixed automatically.
2. Temporarily disable Windows Defender
Many users have claimed to fix error 0x80070003 by disabling Windows Defender. While you can’t completely turn off Windows Defender, you can turn off the firewall and on-access scanning options. Here’s how to disable Windows Defender.
1. First, click on Windows Search and type windows security. Next, open the Windows Security app from the list of options.
2. Under Windows Security, click the Protection against viruses and threats option.
3. On the Virus & Threat Protection screen, click ‘Manage settings‘ Link.
4. Next, disable the following options:
- real time protection
- Protection delivered in the cloud
- Automatic shipment of samples
- Tamper protection
That is! After disabling all four options, you need to run the Windows update tool again. This time you will not get the error 0x80070003.
3. Run SFC and DISM command
The SFC and DISM commands scan and repair corrupt system installation files. Error 0x80070003 error during Windows update can also appear due to system file corruption. So you can try running these two commands to fix the problem.
1. First, click on Windows search and type Command Prompt. Next, right click on Command Prompt and select ‘Run as administrator’.
2. When Command Prompt opens, paste sfc /scannow and hit the Enter button.
3. The above command will run the System File Checker tool. This tool will scan and repair all the damaged system files.
4. If the SFC command returns an error, run the DISM command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup Image /RestoreHealth
That is! This is how you can run SFC and DISM commands on your Windows operating system to resolve error 0x80070003.
4. Restart Windows Update Components
Since your Windows 10 cannot install a specific update, you can reset the update components. It’s easy to reset Windows Update components, so follow the steps below.
1. First, open the command prompt with administrative rights.
2. When Command Prompt opens, run the commands one by one
- net stop wuauserv
- cryptSvc net stop
- network stop bits
- net stop server
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- wuauserv net start
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net home server
3. Once done, open Windows Update and check for updates again.
This is how you can reset the update components on your Windows computer.
5. Install Windows updates manually
In Windows 10 and 11, you are free to download and install Windows updates manually. You can follow this approach if all the methods fail to resolve Windows update error 0x80070003.
You only need to know the updated version (build, version, etc.), which cannot be downloaded and installed on your device. If you know, you should go to the Microsoft update catalog website and download the update package.
Once downloaded, you can install it directly on your device and reboot it. We have already shared a detailed guide on how to download and install Windows updates manually. Be sure to check out that guide for the steps.
Also Read: Download and Install Intel Unison on Windows 11 PC
So, these are the simplest and best methods to fix Windows update error 0x80070003. If you need any further help fixing error 0x80070003 on Windows, please let us know in the comments. Also, if the article helped you, be sure to share it with your friends as well.